Thursday, February 09, 2012

Invitation to Hogwart's (and Thales?)

Ryan and I knew when we booked our upcoming trip to Universal and Disney that we wanted to tell Adelaide about the trip in a special way. I had online about a site where you could order personalized acceptance letters to Hogwart's, and I thought how cool! Then I thought, why would I pay $20 for something I can print at home, duh! So, Ryan and I manufactured a little scenario where I put a gift bag with a Minnie Mouse sweatshirt and a letter from Hogwart's on the front porch. Ryan rang the side doorbell, and we went to go answer the door. I exclaimed that there was no one there, but I saw an owl flying away! Ade came over to check it out, and saw the package. She ran in to open it, and was totally astounded when I read her the letter. "How did they know my name?!?!"

Here is a video of the fun reveal:

Immediately after the amazing experience of having an owl deliver a package to her door, she told me urgently, I need paper and crayons! Yes, she must document this! She then quizzed me on the size and colors of the owl. She produced this to remember the owl's visit:


Speaking of acceptances, we also had Adelaide's interview at Thales yesterday. Ade had asked what an interview is, and I explained it is where you get to know each other, and decide if it a good fit. Ade said she would know if it was the right school for her when she looked at their art supplies. :-) When the teacher came to introduce herself, and take her away for the interview, she said, "Can you come and talk to me for a while, and you can show me how smart you are?" Without missing a beat, Ade replied, "4 plus 4 is 8." We burst out laughing. I have never, ever, not once, done arithmetic with her. I know they talk about it on some of the shows she watches, and her ipod apps, but geez! The teacher giggled and said, "What is 1+1?" Ade said, very matter of factly, in a semi-DUH! tone of voice, "2." The teacher said,  "Well, I guess I can already see how smart you are; let's just go play some games."

When they returned, she said in a jovial sarcastic voice, "I could hardly get her to say anything!" Yes, that kid can be a talker when she wants to be. We heard her voice talking the whole way down the hall and the whole way back.

In the car afterwards she was telling us what they talked about, and Ade said, "When we were doing numbers, she tried to trick me, but she couldn't because before she could even do the first one, I already figured it out." When I asked her what kind of tricks they were, she said, "I don't know because she didn't get to do any." Uh, right.

Kindergarten is scary business here in Wake County. It is so confusing, and chaotic, and dire. Sigh.

One last small story - Ade has taken to whispering things to Vivian when they are together. We were eating at Olive Garden recently, and Ade whispered in Vivian's ear. Afterwards, Jenna asked her what she said, and Ade told us she had whispered, "I love you with all my heart." Jenna and I both melted a little. Our girls!

Saturday we leave for Orlando, and WE CAN'T WAIT!!! Chey's 11th birthday is the day we leave, so we had her party a little early. Happy birthday to my biggiest girl!


Oh, and I went to Asheville for my friend Jackie's bachlorette party last weekend. It was a fabulous girls trip to Grove Park Inn spa, an amazing dinner at a restaurant named Table, and of course a night out on the town. Here I am with Jackie and Stefanie, two of the girls I went to Surrey with for my MBA course:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home