Saturday, January 21, 2012

Polka dotted girl

So, January has gotten off to a nice, lazy, lowkey start. Ahhhh.

Last weekend, I had promised Ade if she finally kicked her nail biting habit, I would take her to the salon for a grown-up manicure. What fun! I loved watching her pick out her color, and carefully scrutinizing every tiny procedure. When I asked her favorite part at the end, she said when he soaked her hands in the warm soapy water. She loved showing everyone her purplopolis glittery nails.




However, Adelaide's health has taken a hit. She woke up crying and was sort of hysterical. Eventually she said her ear hurt. It was worse and worse, and I stayed home with her in my bed waiting for the dr office to open. She was miserable, crying off and on for hours. I hadn't seen her so sick and upset since she was a baby. I had to call Ryan to come back home from work to help. At the dr, not surprisingly, she was diagnosed with her first ear infection, and given her first antibiotic prescription.

That afternoon, her ear started draining, so she must've had a minor rupture. She started feeling better immediately, and her little ear drained for the next day and night. She loved her grape flavored amoxicillan.

Day 7 on the meds, and she awake with a slight rash on her belly and back. I was planing to pick her up early from school anyhow for our double date at the dentist, so figured I'd check it out then. When I picked her up at 1:30, the rash was creeping out of the neck of her shirt. So, luckily they had a dr appt right after our dentist appointments, since the two are near each other. Ade was SOOO well behaved and patient through her own checkup (no cavities, "if all patients were this good, I'd have a better day"), through my checkup (1 cavity - boo - and an education on the different dental implements), and then through the long wait at the doctor. By 4:20 when the dr finally saw her, the rash was everywhere. After that long rough afternoon, the only time Ade got cranky was when she heard the dr say she would need a new prescription, and she started crying, "But I love my grape medicine!!!" Oh, the poor child. Ha. I got her an ice cream on the way home.

The rash was at its worst yesterday, eventually evolving to puffy solid red cheeks like one big raised dot on her face, though she enjoyed showing everyone at Goddard all of her dots. They read a book at circle time about a girl who got stripes after eating lima beans to make her feel special.

Today, the Benedryl is helping, and it is finally fading. Even though it didn't bother her at all, it broke our hearts to look at our perfect kiddo with all the splotchy skin. She decided she did not want to go to karate this morning or wear her camouflage belt until her spots where gone. She told me she was worried they would laugh at her, because she doesn't know the other kids there. Hmm. I left the decision up to her. The belt was such a proud moment for her, I don't want her to feel upset while leading her Tai Kwon Do class. I actually think Ade just didn't feel like going, and she uses things that she hears people say to her advantage - I am pretty sure the "I am afraid they will laugh at me" came from the book they read at school. She is such a clever girl that I have no doubt she uses the things she learns to her advantage.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home