OBX day by day
Saturday: Arrived around 3:30pm and luckily we were able to get the keys to our Kitty Hawk beach house a bit early. There was a mob at the rental agency with everyone wanting to check in, but somehow Ryan managed to walk in and walk right out faster than anyone else. We immediately began to consider dinner plans of course. :-) Ryan headed out for some very quick grocery shopping, while his girls unpacked. Then we went to dinner at the Black Pelican. I had the best tuna, mmm! Ade and I picked a yummy dessert out of the big case. We sighed in relaxation - back at the beach indeed. We went home for an evening stroll down to the pier, and Ade made the first of many stick sculptures. That night we tried to have Ade sleep in a queen bed, but I ended up sleeping in there with her literally rolling over me and all around the bed all night.
![]() | ![]() |
Sunday: The first of many lazy beach mornings. We went down to play at the beach early, and we saw the first of many crab friends. After showering, Ade and I headed to Walmart for some forgotten and newly needed items, including a Barbie. Ryan could wait no longer for Capt'n Franks, so we had hot dogs for lunch. During nap, I graded papers and watched smutty tv. Ryan stocked us up on groceries. I headed to the outlets for a little alone-time shopping (Coach outlet look out!), and then Ry cooked us our lovely shrimp dinner. This time we moved a mattress to the floor and we all slept soundly.
![]() | ![]() |
Monday: After another lazy beachy morning that included an entire village of sand castles, we showered off in the outdoor shower (like birds) and headed to Duck. We adored and loved Duck. It is so quaint with a series of shopping plazas with unique and cute shops. Happily I also found a random Martin & Osa outlet and scored some super cheap clothes! At the toy shop there I bought a bunch of little 50cent animals and starting that day they became a reward for a good nap. We had lunch at Duck Deli and had some yummy bbq. Ade treated everyone to a show by singing several songs loudly, and to applause. Ade got the first of many small buddies I found in the toy shop in Duck as an incentive for taking a good nap. I took some time to read at the beach during nap (Girl Who Played with Fire). That afternoon we went to Kitty Hawk kites, and to our fave buffet - Captain George's - for crab legs. Ade told us as we left, "When I get older, I want crabs."
![]() |
Tuesday: We decided to change it up a little on Tuesday by planning to hit the beach in the afternoon instead of the morning. So, we headed out to the aquarium in Manteo, where we enjoyed walking around the little park area we found outside before going in. Ade bravely put her hand right into the ray tank, and they just loved swimming right to her! We went to the Outer Banks Brew Station for lunch, which had some great brews but the food was less than. We just chilled out during nap. Ade woke kind of cranky from her nap, and I was feeling sort of tired, so Ryan picked up a pizza for us for dinner after a short visit to the beach. That night Ryan and I enjoyed some Hell's Kitchen together.
Wednesday: Ryan brought us a delicious breakfast treat from Duck donuts, where they make donuts fresh to order! Mmm! Then we took another morning drive, but this time to our adored Hatteras. We did a special project this time by making foot print casts in the sand, and mommy even remembered to get a little Buzz Lightyear kite too! We went back to Capt'n Franks to Ryan's delight for lunch. I spent some more time reading on the beach during Ade's nap (now onto Better). We hit Sunsation for some beach shop fun, then to Mama Kwan's for some yummy polynesian dinner. We rented Redbox movies and Ryan and I watched Up in the Air.
![]() | ![]() |
Thursday: After another morning at the beach, we headed back to Duck where we wandered around some more little shops. Unfortunately, I started feeling sick during our bookstore exploration, so we headed home. Ryan grabbed us Thai takeout for lunch from Vilai Thai Kitchen from the plaza the block down from our beach house. I rested during Ade's nap while Ryan took a little adventure out to the lighthouse in Corolla on his own. After nap we visited Wings (too many hermit crabs, too little time!), and ate at Rundown Cafe where Ade enjoyed the Etch-a-Sketch and feeding the koi. We grabbed Ade another movie and enjoyed our evening.
![]() | ![]() |
Friday: We had a yummo pancake breakfast, and then Ade and mommy had a big adventurous morning while Ryan watched a World Cup game. Ade and I went to the visitor center (yes, at the end of the week), and headed back into Duck. We ate a tangerine snow ball while we looked out at the ocean, did a little shopping, and then bought beads to make necklaces. Ade was an excellent sleeper all week, until our last day when she refused to nap. I still took just a bit of time to myself outside while she rested. Then we went back to Manteo for some real fun - our Pirate adventure! Ade LOVED it! She dressed up like a pirate, got "tattoos" painted on her (and me!), and then was lead through a very elaborate adventure to defeat the evil pirates and get the treasure. I loved watching her be a big girl and sit with the other kids and listen to the pirates on board. They commented to each other on "the cute little girl" who ran so fast, and they told Ryan she would be an athlete some day. I take no credit there.
One of my favorite Ade stories happened on that ship, proving Adelaide is impervious to peer pressure. They found some pirate "grog" in the ocean, and were showing it to the kids. Ryan was afraid Ade would really want to drink it, not realizing that was precisely the intention, so he told her it was yucky to pre-empt any requests/complaints. When the kids all sat around and were handed cups, Ade so vehemently insisted she did not want any and desperately looked for someone to take her cup away, even as all the other kids eagerly drank their grog. When we realized what happened we felt terrible that she thought her treat was yucky and declined, but it probably was for the best since I don't think she would have liked the root beer anyhow. We had some seafood at Magnolia Grill, and went home to unwind. Ryan and I watched TV and enjoyed our last night.















0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home