Mother's Day musings
I want to give Ade the gift of these snapshots of her life, but not at the expense of the time I spend with her making the memories I document. So, when life gets as busy as it has been, this blog falls off my list. Life will ebb and flow. That's as much a part of her story as anything. Mommy is running a business. It is a big deal. Right now she tells me she wants to be me when she grows up. I am not sure how I feel about that. It makes me proud, but I don't want her to romanticize the hard work either. And I love that she gets to see how mommy and daddy tackle the hard work as a team.
I went for a parent lunch duty last week and saw a huge change in the kids. The boys had discovered their genitals were funny, making jokes about soccer BALLS and singing the song "I came in like a wrecking BALL!!!" Meanwhile, the girls looked on unamused. Ryan and I went to her school musical Arf! when I said to Ryan in a surreal moment of comprehension - We are the parents. She is a kid now. We are parents in the way we make costumes, and she looks at us smiling and proud, and she will remember these moments with clarity. After years of having best friends who were boys (Cameron, Zach, and Tristen bless your hearts), and me wondering when the world would shift for her, she asked me if she could call her friend Kate to talk on the phone yesterday.
On this Mother's Day, I am taking a pause to commit these turning points to memory. Ade is as sage and wise as ever, amazing us with her kind heart and sophisticated words.
Coming soon - a big trip to Puerto Rico!!! Oh I can't wait...





















0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home