Star is in heaven
After almost 17 years, Star has passed away.
She didn't easily make friends, but she certainly left a lasting impression on many. Star has had an attitude since the day I watched her be born at my friend Kristy's house in high school. She got enormously fat and sassy, with a droopy wooba belly. I named her for Star from The Lost Boys. She bit my grandpa on the ankle, and cornered my friend Kristin at the top of the stairs once when she was staying with me. Star peed everywhere, at my parent's house, my friend Erik's house, and through 4 houses of my own. She wasn't especially cuddly, and she absolutely loathed my brother-in-law Jon, hissing if he came within 10 feet of her.
But, that was Star. She also snuggled in bed with me every night, sat on the chair watching TV with me, and kissed my face all over with her rough, fishy tongue. Adelaide loved her, and Star would even let Ade lean in close to kiss her on the head.
Five years ago she was diagnosed with heart disease, and her numbered days began. Cats really must have 9 lives though, because she persevered. Though she lost a lot of weight, and mellowed her pissy ways, she was still a happy cat. Just last week Ade and I gave her some catnip to enjoy, and she still would routinely give a bug a spirited chase.
Since receiving the news yesterday when I returned from a business trip to Stockholm, I have been noting her absence from my routines. Where was that warm bundle by my feet in bed last night? When Ade sat for breakfast, where was the little thief looking to steal food from her plate?
Passing away quietly in her sleep, and having Ryan find her while I was away, was the best way I could hope for the inevitable to happen. Animals have this amazingly considerate way of waiting until the people who love them aren't around to pass away.
Adelaide has taken the news well, though explaining it to her has not been fun. To Adelaide, Star was her sweet pet kitty.
Star was with me from high school into adulthood, and I loved her and will miss her, for all her good and bad. Rest in peace, Star.
![]() | ![]() |
![]() | ![]() |






0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home